Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Around Four Months Down The Drain




Conscience: 'You must be pretty sad that journalism is over.'
Me: 'Rather sad that Miss de Villa will not be my professor again.'
Conscience: 'You had two semesters with her.'
Me: 'Almost a year with her!'

Although Journalism was harder than Creative Writing, it was such a fun class! All we really had to do was write, write, write and make exactly one video. I guess the reason I totally respect the professor who taught this class was because she never put anyone down. Yes, she had comments and suggestions, but she did not make us feel bad about our mistakes. Another reason she is awesome is because she watches The Newsroom! We did not really have a last class because our room had to be used. Miss de Villa walked in and said, 'Girls, just submit your papers.' I asked her if I would see her next semester and she said, 'Most of you girls will be in my Creative Writing class so see you. Anna, good-bye. I've had you for a year already.' And I was and still am like, 'Noooooo!'  =(


Conscience: 'Don't you have a video of your movement dance?'
Me: 'My friend has it. Am too lazy to ask her to pass it on to me.'
Conscience: 'So you'll just put a picture--'
Me: 'Of a person who made sure that I did not drop out of that class!'

Movement class was almost like ballet! I did enough ballet to know all of the things she was teaching the class. I don't really have the body of a ballerina, but my head knows the dance steps and all those things she made us do. Knowing the dance steps still did not give me enough reason to love movement class. In fact, I used up my two cuts just so that I could stay home and not work my body to death. In the end, practicing paid off because our dance was pretty good. It was not perfect, but let's just say that I am ecstatic that this class is over! Do not remind me that there are two more movement classes I have to take before I graduate.

 

Conscience: 'And you thought that AVP 1 would be hard!'
Me: 'I really dreaded that class!'
Conscience: 'You did so well! How could you dread it?'
Me: 'Coming up with a design every week was taxing.'

I know how to use Photoshop, but I am not good at it. It did not really help that the professor did not teach the basics. Or maybe she did and I was not listening. Almost every other week we had a project to submit. The professor would give us guidelines, we would have to make whatever she requested and hope for the best. Being the lazy person that I am, I usually just put some crap together and prayed for a good grade. And I did get a good grade! Our last class was yesterday, Monday. I got to the room early and saw my grades. I noticed that my name was highlighted in blue. 'Those whose names are highlighted in blue get an award,' Miss Garcia said. Are you serious? Fine. I knew I was doing something right when I saw my work on the mini exhibit in school.




Conscience: 'Describe your Political Science class.'
Me: 'This was the class I became friends with Char, ate tons of food and rarely listened to the professor.'
Conscience: 'Describe the professor.'
Me: 'We called him Father Coco.' 

 

Conscience: 'Every Monday and Friday, you ended your day with Oral Communication. How was that?'
Me: 'Frustrating. I had to stop myself from running out of that class.'
Conscience: 'You hated it? You found it boring? You did not like the professor? Or you just really wanted to get out of the class?'
Me: 'It was at a time where all I wanted to do was sleep.'

I could lie and say that I enjoyed this class, but I think that would not be fair. On the first day of Oral Communication, I knew that I would find reasons not to like the class. I do like talking, but it's hard when a professor grades what you are talking about and how you are talking. When I got my grade for midterms I was devastated. It was not that low. It was not that high. It was those pwede na grades that professors give out. I did complain, but when I found out the grades of my classmates, I shut up. There were people who got lower than me. So yesterday, Monday, at around three something in the afternoon, I was begging God to work some miracle and get me a higher grade. I actually smiled at the professor to thank her when she gave me my grade.

 

Conscience: 'You almost had a problem with Women in Philippine Literature.'
Me: 'I had a problem with it.'
Conscience: 'Care to elaborate?'
Me: 'Maybe in another post.'


This subject just required us to read, read and read. It was a rather easy subject if you followed the instructions of the professor and if you did everything her way. She was strict, but I think people need to have professors who are strict to show that you cannot get away with everything. I almost died when the professor questioned my novel analysis because another girl had the same book I had to review. But I stood my ground and she accepted my paper after some investigation as done. Today was the culminating activity. It was nothing great really and I had to pretend to know some songs in Filipino. The whole class was just clapping for we were so glad this class was over! To pass this class, all one has to do is follow the professor. 





Conscience: 'Feeling happy about your Intro to Communication Theories?'
Me: 'Happy that we had no quizzes, just did easy papers and had a final video? Yes!'
Conscience: 'Did you learn anything at all?'
Me: 'I loved the theories! I even got a pdf of the book the professor used. I plan to read it during the sem break.'

Yes, I am a nerd like that. No one really had to have the book. But theories intrigue me. I sent papa to look for the book everywhere. Mom also searched for the book. I bugged the professor to give me a copy of the pdf she had. After bugging her for two weeks, she gave me a copy. And yes, I plan to read the whole book this sem break just for the heck of it. Intro to Communication Theories was one subject in which all you needed to pass was a brain and ears. Sucks if you've got ears but your brain is missing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment