Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Little Suffering


The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants.

Everyone else is thinking about how to be holy and I am here thinking about why I forgot to buy wax. I woke up so early this morning to check if the malls were open. I ran down and asked my parents. And they were like, 'They're closed. Go back to sleep.' Not satisfied with their answer, I turned on the Mac and checked it out on Google. Sure enough ALL THE MALLS ARE CLOSED


The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants.


On Saturday, Jani and I are supposed to go to Taguig to check out that thingamajig of Church Simplified. We have this thing where we tell each other what we are going to be wearing. It must be a girl thing. Or it must be a we-are-not-best-friends-but-we-are-more-than-close-friends kind of thing. Most of the time, we try to get our outfits to match. And I was so wanting to wear shorts because of the heat. Unfair!


The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants.

Actually, I could have gotten wax yesterday. I was at the gym yesterday and the mall next to the gym had what I needed. I had so much time to run to the mall and buy what I wanted. I had the money to do it and the time. But what happened? Someone forgot. Someone wanted to go home right away. And someone else had to rush to the bank. That happened. 


The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants.


I look like Gusto now. I am busy stuffing Oreos into my mouth while praying that an asthma attack does not take place in the next twenty four hours or so. My eyes look like they are going to overflow with tears. And my heart is trying to tell my brain that things will be okay. Of course, my brain keeps telling me that I am so dumb for forgetting and that wearing pants would be the dumbest thing to do considering how humid and warm it has been lately. 


The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants.


Holy Week has always been an unlucky time for me and my whole family. One time, my dad was down with kidney stones. Another time, my mom forgot to buy food. I tried calling McDo to deliver, but they were closed. I starved for two days. And yes, this year I will remember Holy Week as that time I forgot to buy wax and had to have ugly legs which would hide behind very hot pants.


The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants.


To heck with wax! It's Holy Week and we're all supposed to suffer or give up something. Mom stopped eating French fries. Papa stopped taking rice. One of my brothers gave up eating meat. I dunno what the other one gave up for Lent. While they all gave something up, I just said, 'I had chicken pox and I do not take rice. Surely, that would be enough 'giving up' already!' 

The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants.

I am on forced 'giving up' mode. I feel so ugly. And yucky. So even though I am really annoyed at myself, I shall just pretend that this is my Creator's way of telling me to sacrifice something this Lent. Somehow giving it meaning makes it easier to bear.  Duh. It's just a million little hairs on my leg and my Creator had tons of nails on his head. It looks a little yucky, but at least no one's disgusted enough with me to crucify me to a cross.


The malls are closed. Cannot buy wax. Will have to wear pants. 

So to my Creator, while your other children here on earth are offering up their wonderful I-have-given-this-up-for-you this Lent thingamajigs, I am offering up to you my unwaxed legs. Yeah, my offering is a little bit late and I didn't really want to do it. But it seems that giving up something is your idea of fun. I know my offering seems dumb and your other children on earth have given up better things, but this is really hard for me to do. So please accept it!


It's just a little suffering.





No comments:

Post a Comment