Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Misplaced Glass and Laziness

How lazy can people get?

I was at the gym the other day doing my usual workout. After spending thirty minutes on the bike, I ran to the soda counter. Got some soda and stood around while sipping my drink. There's a tray for all the used glasses and cups. People are expected to place their used glasses and cups in the tray and not around it. I was standing a few feet away from the tray getting ready to put my used glass in it when a lady came and blocked my way. If that wasn't bad enough already, she didn't even put her used glass in the tray. She ran off while leaving her used glass a few inches from the tray. Being a stickler for rules, I placed the woman's used glass in the tray before putting my glass in.

This isn't a post to rant about how I had to put the woman's used glass in the tray and wasted a few seconds of my time doing something another person should have done instead. It isn't a rant about what she should have done and what I shouldn't have done for her. I guess this is a rant about what I realized laziness is all about. Trust me, we've all been lazy at least once in our life.

Laziness is a habit. And like all habits, it is formed over a period of time. You can't just wake up one day and decide to be lazy. You start being lazy in the small things and end up being lazy in the big things later on. The bad thing is that you have no idea that you're becoming lazy already. The person who is lazy just thinks that it's natural or that it's alright to be lazy.

Laziness is a mindset. Pwede na yan is the motto of those who are lazy. You see this in students who don't want to do their best. They settle for the passing score instead of aiming high. A maid might say pwede na yan when asked to sweep the floor, but is too lazy to sweep under the furniture. An employee may say pwede na yan when cramming a report and ending up with a crappy PowerPoint presentation. A boss may say pwede na yan when too tired to think. Everyone has said pwede na yan because it is the easiest thing to do and it does not require the person to think of a way to creatively solve the problem at hand.

Laziness is an attitude. An attitude is manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, especially of the mind: a negative attitude; group attitudes. People say that laziness is an attitude problem. Like all problems, there's a solution to it. Just because one is lazy doesn't mean that the person has to stay that way forever. If the person really wants to get out of being lazy, the person will find a way to do it.

Laziness is sin. Forget about laziness being a habit, a mindset or an attitude. Laziness is sin. I guess when I realized that laziness is sin, that was the only time I made up my mind to get out of it. Just like most sins, laziness is fun. It's fun to just sit around all day doing nothing. Being in sin is easy. Getting out of it and staying out of it is so hard.

So starting today tomorrow I will not be lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment